Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Sunday Search for Inspiration: Eggs

 
Every year we and I head over to Aunt Judy's house the evening before Easter to dye some Easter eggs. No one hides them these days, although I never said I was too old for an Easter egg hunt. Every year we eat something tasty and just when I feel like it might be time for an after dinner nap, the yellow tablecloth comes out and the fun begins.
 

Mismatched cups are filled with bright colors, dipping wands collected over the last 20+ years make their annual debut, along with crayons, stickers, glitter, glue, packages of egg dye decorated with fuzzy bunnies and chicks, and last but not least, the eggs. 

 
A child like atmosphere spreads through the room as everyone scrambles to get their egg into the most coveted colors. Later, when no one is looking my mother in law, Carol, slips some oil into half of the cups and is met with cheers from those who love the effect and grumbles by those who hate the mess.

The Birth of a Peep
 Others opt for making hollow eggs or experimenting. Last year the room was filled with the smell of melted wax and burning egg shells that met their fate at the end of a dremel.  This year was a little more subdued, as we competed to adorn our egg with the best flower. I don't think a winner was ever chosen and I'm not sure it really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment